Verizon adfellows – Alumni Spotlights highlight the success of THF interns with Verizon adfellows, a Gold Level Diversity Partner and long standing supporter of the Foundation.
Brittaney Chatman (THF ’13)
Tell us about the Verizon adfellows Program.
The Verizon adfellows program is an eight-month fellowship, where you get to experience marketing from both the client side and agency side while touching four distinct areas of the marketing function: strategy, creative, account, production.
You get a chance to be front and center and contribute your skillset and gain tons of knowledge to help set you up for a successful marketing career. You will have a manager and a buddy to guide you, there are tons of workshops and support for success events and you rotate with four other people so you will never feel alone on the journey!
We went through a rigorous recruitment process to be selected. Well over 100 applicants were narrowed down to 30 and offered a once in a lifetime opportunity to experience our industry in a way unlike no other. The best part… at the end of the 8 months, the fellows have the chance to receive a full-time offer from one of the partner organizations.
What did a typical day look like for you?
I would start my mornings checking my e-mails to see if there are any tasks I need to complete. I would prepare a to-do list and head into my morning status meetings where I would listen and take notes.
I participated in various workshops to hone specific skills or learn about the best practices in the industry. I would put the skills to use and carry out my responsibilities depending on which role I was in. I would reconnect with my manager and buddy for a quick check-In and then meet with my team to work on our integrated marketing campaign for Verizon!
Which agencies did you work with as a part of your rotation?
- Account Management at McCann
- Creative Ideation at Weber Shandwick
- Media Strategy at Verizon
- Production at R/GA
What did your duties include as a Verizon adfellow?
A few of my duties include:
- Marketplace and competitive research for upcoming device launch campaign(s)
- Assessed media channels and provided media social activation tactics to launch Samsung Beyond X Launch
- Assessed activated media to determine measurement plans and provided recommended tactics to align with objectives for Samsung Beyond and Beyond X campaigns
- Partnered with strategy to generate ideas that strengthened clients’ market distinction and leadership position
- Took a creative approach to understand and disseminate business insights
- Interpret creative briefs to design copy
- Performed & presented competitive and industry research and analysis on a weekly basis to deliver to the client, collaborating to build a holistic competitive presentation for the quarter
- Carried out responsibilities of AAE including trafficking, creative rotation, competitive analysis, voice-over recordings, and management
What was one of your best experiences as an adfellow?
One of the best experiences as an adfellow was getting the opportunity to meet business leaders who look like me and getting the chance to have deep discussions with them on how to thrive in the industry as a woman of color. It not only made me feel represented, but it made me see how capable I am of becoming a leader in an industry that needs strong voices and a diverse perspective such as mine!
What did you like most about the adfellows program?
Adfellows has exposed me to the endless possibilities in marketing and advertisement. Upon graduating from grad school, I had a narrow view of opportunities and the capacity in which I could work in marketing and advertising because I come from a journalism, theater, production background. Adfellows has broadened my view tremendously! This program has given me exposure, variety, and job opportunities. From the four rotations, I would come to understand the ideal company for me, as well as the position that best suits my interests and abilities.
What were the most rewarding and challenging parts of your adfellow experience?
During my time there I have been able to accomplish challenging, high-level achievements:
- Winning most innovative and best breakthrough campaign idea for my client, Verizon!
- Successfully pitching social activation tactics to launch Samsung 5G Beyond X
- Successfully managing campaigns for Verizon Fios and Ally Bank, ensuring that campaigns are trafficked and managed effectively and efficiently. Working with sales to ensure campaigns are delivered in full and go live on time
How has the Verizon AdFellows program made an impact on your career?
My love for storytelling is what sparked my interest in marketing and advertising. I appreciate how brands leverage storytelling to make an impact on the world. Through AdFellows I see the importance and the need for thoughtful marketing and credible advertising through smart insights that motivate creative work and strategy that brings these beautiful stories to life. And this is where I fit in! This is the value that I can bring to this world, and so I appreciate the workforce of diverse experiences I’ve had in my career so and the enrichment of tools that I’ve gathered from this experience that will take my career to the next level!
What advice would you give to THF interns as they being summer internships or careers in media?
Go into your summer internships or your careers in media being curious, connected, courageous, committed, innovative, with a strong insight and foresight!